FridgeSmart Containers are Tupperware's biggest selling items. Why is that you ask? Statistics show that a set of 3 containers will pay for itself 4 times in the first year alone with all the food they save. On top of that, the improved quality of your produce will have you recommending their use to everyone you know!
Here is a picture of my FridgeSmart Containers in my fridge. I love the organization and control I have in managing my produce.
Now for a few tips to help you get the most out of your FridgeSmart Containers:
1. Put your produce in your FridgeSmart Containers both naked and dirty
- that means take it out of the bag if you brought your produce home in one
- don't wash it until you are ready to use it... however, I give my lettuce a good rinse and a shake before storing it in the FS containers. That way it is all ready to cut up and spin in my Tupperware Salad Spinner when I'm making salad.
Why should fruits and vegetables not be washed first? It is actually the excess water that causes produce to rot.
2. Feel free to combine veggies in one container. Be sure they have the same venting requirements for best results.
3. Store your empty FridgeSmart Containers in the fridge. Give them a wash and return them to their rightful spot on the fridge shelf; that way they are all ready to go when you need them, and you won't have to find space in the fridge to keep them. Also, you won't have to find space in a cupboard to store them in when they aren't in use and dig them out when you arrive home with your groceries. It'll save you a ton of time and frustration.
- it is so easy to arrive home from shopping and think you'll just put the produce away in the plastic bags until you get the FridgeSmarts out. From experience, I can tell you that the next time you'll think about it will be when you are throwing out those plastic bags of old, past their best fruits and veggies from the bottom of your produce drawer that you didn't get around to using, before your next grocery shopping trip!
If you've never used FridgeSmart Containers and would like to try just one, be sure to get one to store your fresh mushrooms in. You will be amazed at how long your mushrooms will keep... 2 weeks for company, and 3 weeks for family! Once you've experienced the miracle of mushrooms in your FridgeSmart Containers you will know how fresh everything will stay when you use the containers for your other produce items, and before you know it you will want to completely outfit your fridge with FridgeSmarts! (You'll want to host a party to get them Free and 1/2 price too!)
Now let's talk cheese. FridgeSmart Containers are excellent for storing cheese in your fridge. Keep cheese in its package, slicing or grating it from one end. It is not necessary to re-wrap the cheese with plastic wrap and place an elastic around the end of it before placing it in a FridgeSmart Container. Just leave the package open. Also, you may store several different cheeses together in the same container using the same method. However, I caution you to not store your mild cheeses like Cheddar, and Mozzarella along with your smellier cheese such as Gorgonzola and Stilton. They will all store fine... but they will all smell and taste like the stronger cheeses! Ask me how I know!
-one more cheese storing tip: If you ever have a problem with mold growing on your cheeses, be sure to rinse your FridgeSmart Containers out with a vinegar and water solution. The addition of vinegar into the water reduces the pH within the container, preventing mold from growing. This trick works like a charm!
So organize your fridge with FridgeSmart Containers and save yourself a small fortune with all the food you save. Also, feel good about reducing waste and your contribution to the landfill!
Did you find these tips on storing produce and cheese helpful? Date a party with me and discover many more ideas on how to save time and money, while earning Free Tupperware and having fun with your family and friends. I look forward to hearing from you!